Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The chicks are coming


 

After several years of consideration ... and the wearing down of one reluctant spouse ... the chicks are in the mail.  Or they will be, in three to five weeks!  I have envisioned the little buggers running around my yard for a while now, but every time I brought it up, Peter would say absolutely not.  You can buy eggs.

True.  And I didn't really push it, because any animal means more work, and do I really want to shovel chicken poop?  Maybe not so much.

But I love fresh eggs.  I can really tell, and one thing you never know for sure is if you are buying a free range egg.  Not so much for the egg's sake, but I have been to a chicken place and it is horrible.  I mean, terrible.  I think everyone should visit one -- and to think that I did it on a 4-H visit -- and the people who owned the place were proud to show it!  It was horrible.  Yes, I know I've already said that, but it was years and years ago and I can still see it, smell it and hear it.  More chickens than you can imagine are in cages, but they don't have bottoms.  They sort of perch on a small area, and when they lay their eggs, the egg goes on to a conveyor belt and off it goes to where it is weighed and whatever else.  I was too traumatized by the chickens to see the rest of the deal.


















    

I can't find a picture that show exactly what the factory I went to visit was like, but this is pretty darn close.  The smell and the noise are beyond words, really, and free range just means they are not in a cage but smashed together, wandering around, almost always inside.  In other words, a free range egg is fairly meaningless.  And because of that, I spend a LOT of money on free range eggs that are from supposedly reputable farms; or get local when I can.

When I was in 4-H as a kid, a friend and I shared a flock of chickens, so I am well aware of what it entails.  But I have never raised chicks, and I wonder if you get closer to them?  The ones I dealt with were not all that friendly, but they were kept in a large stall in a barn, and they weren't free range really, either.  To me, that means they are outside, wandering around, eating bugs and rolling in the dirt.  The good chicken life!  I am aiming to provide the good life to my chickens in exchange for eggs that come from happy chickens.

There are no other farm animals that I would be interested in.  I don't drink milk, so there is no need for a cow; and while I do enjoy a rasher of bacon (whatever that is!!!) from time to time, I don't really eat pig.  I grew up with horses, and haven't really had the desire to return to that, in all these years.  Back then there was a purpose; you rode to get better so that when you were in horse shows you could potentially win.  Horse people really have no other life if they are really into it.  I knew as a kid that that wasn't going to be my lot in life!

As for food sources, I would ultimately like to eat as little meat as possible.  I won't have any issues eating my happy chickens when the time comes; if that is a route we choose to go.   But I am not sure I can throw a chicken on a log and whack its head off.  So I guess if I can't do that, then I shouldn't be eating my friends!  But I don't want to raise my own meat, ultimately, even if to know where it comes from.  I'd rather not eat it, I guess!

So now the playhouse needs to be converted into a chicken coop and the dogs need to be lectured on how to get along with furry creatures!

No comments: