Sunday, October 16, 2011

A picture is worth a thousand words (though of course I added those too!)

 I come from a family of photographers.  To be one, you have to have an eye.  Or have some creative juice flowing through your veins.  When I was a child, my father would take pictures of us, telling us to lay on the floor with our heads together, or do something -- ANYthing -- other than pose.  To this day he will not pose for a picture.
 I go through stages.  There are times when months will pass without my touching my camera.  And then I will pick it up and take pictures for just as many months as I did not.  I have gone through a LOT of cameras -- mostly because I was so drawn to the little ones you could throw into a pocketbook or backpack with ease.  But, as I have discovered through experience, those cameras do not last when used on an almost daily basis.  I called once to complain that my third camera had died, and the person on the other end was aghast at how many pictures I was taking with it, along with an expectation that it was up to it.  Apparently those cameras are made for the photographer who takes it out for vacations and the occasional sunset.  Oh, and they hate the beach!
 I have photoshop, which is a very challenging program -- if only because it is SO easy to ruin a perfectly good picture! (I guess the challenge lies in not overprocessing!)
Here, you can see I did not heed such advice, and went a little nuts.  But I don't worry about color so much (or even light) when taking a picture any more, because those things are easily dealt with.

 This picture was taken with a telephoto lens halfway across the (albeit narrow) part of the lake while I was sitting on my dock.
This photo is the same as above, with a little tweaking.  First off, fall foliage in the first one was dull.  No problem!  Back in the day when you had only natural light to make a great photo, the upper picture would have seemed acceptable.  But there is so much altering to pictures going on these days, there is no such thing as real -- all memorex!

Sometimes I just prefer a natural photo.  This one is untouched and I find it very calming.  There would be no need to have the browns be browner.   I find this very calming in its simplicity.

 I am not sure who took the above.  Over the weekend, there were photographers everywhere!  Maddie, Charlie, my nephew Zach, my sister and myself.  Snap, snap, snap!  My guess would be that this was Maddie's doing -- she has an eye for the unusual.  I think I probably would have tried to get the entire flower in -- but she saw it this way, and it totally works.
 The kids also know when a picture is going to be fun.  I was on the dock while they were on the public dock, and Maddie called to me to take pictures of their action.  It is always fun to fly through the air, and I love how Charlie is pointing at her.
 Here, Zach looks almost as though he is leap frogging Maddie!


 I took lots of pictures of the kids out on the boat and kneeboarding -- but I thought this one captured it best.  Thumbs up!  I often wonder if these children have ANY idea, whatsoever, how lucky they are.  I am guessing the answer is no.  Charlie has been driving a boat since he was a little kid -- to him it just is.  Now this picture would benefit from some tweaking to give the background a lift in color.  Oh well.


At first I was going to crop this so Zach was the only subject in the frame, but then I realized that the car gave the added benefit of the motion of speed.  Both Maddie and Charlie were using my camera, so I am not sure who the official photographer is.  But good job!


Here is a photoshopped rendition of one of the above photos. (You can spend hours and hours playing in that venue, believe me!)  I just don't know what to do with everything!  My walls are full of pictures already, so I thought this would be a fun way to bring some out of hiding.

P.S.  Click on any of the above photos to get a larger, cleaner version!

No comments: