Wednesday, May 12, 2010

That was creepy


Despite my best efforts to stay under the radar -- I am afraid I am out there with the rest of you!

While it is true that I have always felt perfectly comfortable putting out my credit card information online to receive products -- all the while knowing of course that there were cookies galore being baked all about me -- I have still tried to not put myself out there as much as "they," (yeah yeah, my favorite they!) would like. For example, I always use a certain name and altered address when I am asked for things I don't really want to give my info out to. (And I can't tell you how many times I've seen that name and almost my address in my mailbox!)

And I refused to be fingerprinted when the school system used fear to instill the fact that there were all sorts of predators volunteering in our schools and the only way to stop it was to get on record. Yeah, right. I am happy that to this day I can commit a crime and not wipe up my fingerprints and still not get caught! (Kidding. Just kidding.)

What I am saying is that I am AWARE that it's all about collecting as much information on a person as possible -- for whatever reason -- be it marketing or just to keep an eye on someone. But I don't like it when I use my CELL PHONE to make a phone call to cancel an account, and they know who I am. That concerns me. A lot.

Hallie had ordered Proactiv years and years ago, and they sent it automatically every month. It is an account in my name, and I am sure that my house phone number is attached to it. But my cell phone? Somewhere, someplace, I put out my cell phone number along with my regular home phone, and some data collection agency forwarded that information on to those who wanted it. So, when I make a phone call, they know who it is.

I do not like this. I do not like to call an 800 number, go through the voice mail rigamarole (and I did NOT put in ANY information, like an account number) and then 10 minutes later have a human say "Hello Lisa, how are you today? I am so sorry to hear you no longer want to receive our solution. Perhaps we could ..."

Unreal. I wonder what they do in that ten minutes. Go through your entire life's purchasing history and try to figure out the best way to get you to stay? They totally lost me at "Hello, Lisa," I will tell you this. The MOMENT the woman said it, there was no touching me.

I have gone from a bitch to ruthless when it comes to telemarketers. When I pick up my phone (a phone I might add I do not pay actual money to be told WHO is calling me!) the second I hear that dead zone before the telemarketer's phone kicks in, I hang up. Or if I am not quick enough, I scream TAKE ME OFF YOUR DAMN LIST and then hang up. Either way, you ain't selling me anything.

So if those data collection agencies (or THEY) are reading this, just take it to heart. I am done consuming. I want nothing you are selling. I don't care if it will make me lose weight, take care of my acne or enlarge my penis. I DO NOT WANT IT.

Now I feel as though I have left far too many bread crumbs in the woods and they lead right to me. I wish those damn birds would eat them -- but funny thing, life isn't a fairy tale. Even if it seems as though the Big Bad Witch has your number (and your name) and is watching your every move in her crystal ball.

I don't like it.

I want OFF the grid.




No comments: