Thursday, April 21, 2011

A concert as the muse

I have never been a big concert person -- I like music -- it is a very integral part of my life -- but perhaps more of a result of geography than anything else, I have not attended a lot of concerts in my life.  (I do also have amazing hearing, so it might not have been a bad thing!)

So when a friend had an extra ticket to a concert for someone I'd never heard of, much less listened to, my obvious answer was no, right?  But for some reason I didn't say no.  There was no resounding reason to go (didn't know who the opening act or the headliner was) but there was no resounding reason not to go either.  I was neutral and there was clearly a part of me that wanted to go.  So I went.

As we walked on the sidewalk to enter the venue, the House of Blues in Boston, on Lansdowne Street across from Fenway Park, I was completely engulfed in a total deja vu.  I'd gone here in the murky regions of my past ... that region where there was drinking and near strangers and loud music and having to flirt my way past the door man as I was under aged.  As I held out my wrist to get the bracelet that would allow me to purchase alcohol inside without the need of an ID (okay, so I guess I look older than 21, it was bound to happen someday, right?!) I couldn't get over the weird feeling, or the feeling of the energy that a concert-growing crowd emits.  I liked it.  It was familiar, it's a young energy and it reactivated the young cells of my youth and flooded me with memories.

The opening act, Christina Perry, whom I actually thought was going to be Katy Perry, was very cute and energetic and sooooo excited that it was the first night of her first-ever tour.  Like I said, good energy.  There was a short break and then James Blunt came out.  Cute.  And the following two hours were quite enjoyable and got my creative juices flowing in a big way.







so it is time to write. 

No comments: