Saturday, January 8, 2011

Kindle all the way!

In the debate of kindle versus real books, I have decidedly come to a wholehearted conclusion:  Kindle baby, all the way.

I know that I have been quite vocal about my love of kindle -- and if not in this blog, then you're just not listening!  Because I do.  I love it.  Love it.  Love love love it.

I have been reading straight kindle for months but my sister had loaned me The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its sequel months ago, saying I had to read it.  But it was in book form!  I literally scorned it because it was a book!  But this month for book club, the book we are reading is just that one, and so with a heavy heart I put my kindle down and picked up the book.  I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was, I really didn't.  I mean, I have been reading old-fashioned books all my life so you wouldn't think it would be such an imposition.  But you have to turn pages!  And the pages are not crisp and clear, they are sort of dull.  And sometimes if you're not holding the book properly, words get stuck in the gutter.

It was a nightmare.  And at night I like to read myself to sleep.  (This of course backfires more often than not because if it is a good book I will stay up much later than I should) but it was near impossible with the book.  With kindle all you have to do is clip on the book light (I am not permitted to read with light, it's a marriage issue and for years and years, pre-kindle years that is, I did not read in bed.  Totally sucked but the itty bitty book lights kept him up too, poor thing.  Wah wah.)  Anyway, the kindle booklight is small and only has to highlight one side versus two, so it doesn't shed as much light.  In other words, it doesn't wake Peter up so he can bitch about the light.  But the past few nights I've had to clip on the big old book light and he has complained.  And so have I!  The damn thing moves around all the time and I can't lay on my side and hold the book out like I do with kindle because I have to keep flipping the pages!  SO IRRITATING!

So at dinner last night I was showing a friend how to operate her kindle, and I was saying how much I missed mine because I was reading that damn book club book in book form.  And she said why?  It's only five bucks for kindle.

Yes, you are correct.  I rushed home and downloaded it and went to bed reading, happily ever after.  That is it.  No more books for me.  They are clunky and unsupportive of my challenges of reading in bed!

Kindle all the way!  And if you don't have one, for heaven's sake get one.  They are cheap cheap and you will forever wonder why it took you so long.

1 comment:

It Rhymes With Witch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.