Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I knew better


I really did. When I was planting seeds in my little containers I thought you really don't need THAT many zucchini. But the seeds are so teeny and it all seems so presumptuous that they will grow into anything, that I planted like six. And thought I was risking having NONE of them grow.

Yeah, no.
All six grew and then when it came time to plant them in the garden, I felt like such a bad mother only choosing three of them. The other three I apologized to profusely and left them in a tray by the garage in the event either of the three died.

Yeah, no.

They did not die, in fact, they are healthy as hell and producing hundreds of zucchini a day. Or maybe I am exaggerating, but I have these things everywhere ... and if you don't pick them they grow leaps and bounds overnight. They are kind of freaking me out. Currently I have six sitting on my counter so I can make bread. Except you only need like maybe the meat of ONE of them. I just made blueberry muffins -- and the thought of zucchini bread only makes me wince.

We picked 18 quarts of blueberries today. I am working on getting those frozen and of course had to make the obligatory blueberry muffins. I don't think anything tastes better in this world than a muffin made with berries you've just picked. I could eat them all, but I am also waiting for pizza dough to rise so that I can make zucchini pizza. (Yes, I am THAT desperate!) It is crazy how much food there is to be eaten -- and painful to know it is all going to rot. I keep saying that letting the zucchini go directly from the garden to the compost isn't really the end of the world, but it's hard.


Oh, and those three extra plants? They have slithered off into the deep grass and are undoubtedly growing great amounts that I can't see. But I am not going to look. What you don't know about can't hurt you!

4 comments:

Hal said...

I'm soooo jealous! make me some bread! that should ship well to Chicago :)

Kristin said...

We have a local food pantry that takes people's extra vegetables from their gardens. It's fabulous. Just a thought.

Tomasen said...

Can you make like zuchinni pickles or something? I loooooove zuchinnie! Just can't spell it!!

Tomasen said...

Can you make like zuchinni pickles or something? I loooooove zuchinnie! Just can't spell it!!