Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You had me at stylish and hell, it's pink

I am in spring cleaning mode and I am in a relentless mood.  One big garbage bag and I are making the rounds, and if I don't like the looks of you -- you could be stuffed in and discarded without a moment's thought.  RELENTLESS I TELL YA!

But the one place that really needs a good work-over is this computer -- it is getting so slow because of all the pictures I have on it, and when I go to do anything in iPhoto, it often crashes.  NOT a good sign.  I do have back-ups of the important pictures (or as many as I could fit on several 2 gig flash drives) but I still have a TON of pictures.  A few months ago I went through and deleted hundreds of pictures.  This month I added close to a thousand from my trip to Arizona and California.  Good grief.

So I decided to check out external hard drives, and the first one I clicked on made me laugh.  Read this.  I mean, it's an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE for heaven's sake.

LaCie Mobile Hard Drive Porsche 100GB 5400RPM - 93053653781 -

LaCie Mobile Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche 100GB 5400RPMUSB 2.0 and FireWire Made with a durable exterior to withstand life on the go, this stylish, compact drive lets you safely travel with your professional and personal data, including MP3s, audio tracks and photos. Since this portable drive is USB & FireWire bus-powered, no cumbersome AC adapter is required. There is also no software to configure on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Mac OS X because its driver-free. With plug and play convenience, its preformatted for immediate use on PC or Mac. User Benefits: * Universal USB and FireWire connectivity * Lightweight, portable design * Bus-powered* - AC adapter not requiredInterface : FireWire (1 port) and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (1 port) Interface Transfer Rate : Hi-Speed USB 2.0: 480Mbits/s (60MB/s) FireWire: 400Mbits/s (50MB/s)Capacity : 100 GBUPC#: 093053653781MFP#: 300808

Does anyone remember the J. Peterman catalog?  I loved that thing and ordered so many items from it that I absolutely never used.  For one, there were hand drawings (not pictures).  Wait.

The caftan. Simple, comfortable, graceful, and easy to wear.

It’s one of those designs so well adapted to its function (think ax handles, ship’s rudders, etc.) that time has suggested few improvements.

The world’s first caftan with a concealed inner tie at the waist.So we’ve taken a deep breath here before standing up to announce something that may take a bit of getting used to:


The world’s first caftan with a concealed inner tie at the waist.

This empowers you to adjust precisely the caftan’s fit to your body; some people prefer a more tailored look, for example, when they leave home for the souk.

Caftan traditionalists and neo-caftanians should be able to lounge around together in a spirit of mutual appreciation, or at least tolerance.

This is not a matter of right or wrong; it’s about freedom of choice.

...hidden inner ties continue around inside.Adjustable-Waist Caftan (No. 2335). Ankle-length cut of pure cotton. Side slits. On-seam pockets. Taped V-neck and hook-closing placket leading down to stitched half-belt like panel at the waist; hidden inner ties continue around inside.

Size: one size fits most. Color: Coral and Pink floral on Taupe, with Pink trim.




Adjustable-Waist Caftan (No. 2335).




The chances that I would EVER wear a caftan are slim-to none.  But the words ... oh the words ... freedom of choice, just yummy.  I just might purchase this caftan because it is pink and because the words dimmed the lightbulb in my brain and made me believe.  That caftans are good.












Anyway.  The same as those words with the silly external hard drive. (I had no idea that J. Peterman was around still, by the way.)  But this stylish and compact drive lets you travel safely with your data ... I mean, who doesn't want that?  I think they had me at stylish.  Just like a caftan, it's not about need.  It's about the delivery.

Time to go work out my credit card.  Does anyone else want to join me in building the new caftan-craze?

Anyone?

UPDATE:  The more I look at this caftan, the more I like it.

ANYONE?  

For those interested, the price of this be----U----T---Ful caftan is $89.  MY GAWD, a bargain!

5 comments:

Hal said...

It certainly looks very comfortable! But where the heck did you even find something like this????

Lisa said...

Years ago I bought stuff from the J. Peterman catalog all the time based on the descriptions. I was just wondering if there was some old stuff out there on the 'net, and wa la, J. Peterman still exists! Though the actual picture of the caftan is a new touch -- it used to just be drawings only. I used to want to go work for the catalog. And now I am thinking ... I NEED to go work for the catalog!

Tomasen said...

Ha ha ha...this caftan looks like the absolute perfect outfit for spring cleaning!! Ba ha ha ha...remmeber the Seinfeld episodes when Elaine worked for J Peterman. H aha hah ah

Lisa said...

An adjustable waist caftan is along the same lines as a tailored mu-mu. Clearly another fashion statement that must sweep the nation.

Hey! We can attend tea parties in our caftans and mumus.

ANYONE?

Hal said...

O-M-G! If you get one I want one too. Then we can hang around the lake looking incredibly cool.

$89 is ridiculous!