Saturday, May 4, 2013

Where do you want to be?

This morning I woke up in the cottage, at the lake (BRRRRR) and looked out at the calm water and just took a deep breath.  Ahhhhhhh.  For a long while I just stood on the porch and drank it all in ... the serenity of a beautiful, sunny morning, no one around ... a small gift before the summer crowds move in.  I'll take it!

I drove home in order to deal with all things chicken, and set myself up on the front porch with some breakfast and a new cookbook that had just come in the mail.  AHHHHHHHHHHH.


As the breeze kept any potential black fly nuisances away, and the sun began to warm my toes, I looked around and saw my chickens wandering about doing their thing.

 Over here we had the Goldie's dust bathing, perfectly content to soak up the rays.
 Goldie takes her downtime seriously, as you can see!  You could all but hear her sighs of contentment, a truly happy chicken.

This is where I was sitting, AHHHHH, and all the while I was thinking, I have to blog about this!  My first thought was, you always think where would you want to be right now?  On a beach?  I often want to be on a beach, but at this moment in time I didn't want to be anywhere else.  I had already found my slice of heaven, and I was more than happy to soak it all in, chicken style!

There is a full day ahead, we have to build a coop for the four not so little chicks, we have to get the boat in because the kids are being quite pushy about it (and we want to go out in it ourselves tonight!) and there is an overall feeling of trying to get so many things done, because it just feels like summer has arrived.  We stayed at the cottage last night, because we all have that feeling that we want it to be here ... despite the fact that we basically slept outside last night!  I woke up somewhat freezing, as the heavier blankets had fallen off during the night, and I didn't care at all, because it's fun to do silly things!  We are leaving for Mexico on Thursday for a wedding, so there is that underlying urgent feeling in the pit of my stomach, that feeling that I have so many things to do before I leave (don't forget chicken food, don't forget to tell Charlie that it is IMPERATIVE that he water the seedling under the lights in the basement, don't forget that all the animals need to be fed and watered...will he remember, it would kill me to lose ... and so it goes.)  But that all went away for a brief while this morning as I just sat there and was.  I breathed in, I relaxed, I took it all in, and then I got all frantic about getting it blogged.

Geesh.


No comments: