Saturday, April 20, 2013

The right to my own opinion

I was just outside, an event that is always met with a flock of chickens hurling towards me in great glee in anticipation of any treats I might have for them.  They crack me up, and lately I have been using this to get them into their pen when I leave in the evening, so I don't have to concern myself with them being out after dark.

They follow me quite willingly, and only a few chickens will realize that they are penned in, while the rest are happy to gorge on the treats, oblivious of their surroundings.  Those few get irate, they begin to pace around, dart into the coop to see if there is an escape there, and so on, but of course they are safer in their pen and I leave them out all day long, so too bad chickens.

As I walked down there with them all behind me, they followed me into the coop, but this time I didn't lock them in.  I was collecting eggs, so they grew bored with the treatless me, and all started running across the yard, busy to get back to whatever they had been doing earlier, and I thought to myself, they really do exhibit happiness when they run in their freedom.  The very act of being free to do whatever they want is a part of them.

Over the events of the past week, I wasn't buying into the fear factor that the media loves to build up, I didn't believe after the initial blasts that there would be anything else, only based on common sense.  If this was a terrorist act, and by that I mean a non-domestic infiltration of crazy-assed extremists blowing themselves up, then they wouldn't have been happy with a few booms that killed three people and wounded a hundred or so other.  I am NOT minimizing this event, let me be clear.  I felt the same horror as everyone else did when it happened, only magnified when I received a phone call from my daughter saying she was within a block of the blast and that she was okay (I had no idea that she was there).  For a few minutes I let all the could haves wash over me, I panicked a bit at the thought that there were more bombs in the vicinity and that she was in serious danger, and then I realized that the greater threat would be the cops and homeland security, so I told her not to get on a train (it would not surprise me in the least if they shut down trains with hundreds of people trapped in them in the tunnels for hours, weeks, days) and to get out of there as fast as she could, again, not because I thought that she was in any more danger from bombs, but from our own protection services, who would think nothing of trapping people in place for hours.  (And this did happen, but she managed to escape it and get out of town, though it took a long time.)  But my gut told me the worst had taken place, and I knew also that they would identify them with all of the cameras that are available in this crazy world we live in today.  My daughter's college had a bomb threat, I heard of other bomb threats ... but once nothing came to pass, it became clear the fear mongers were at work ... let's get the people in a frenzy, scare the shit out of them and then ...

And then close the whole damn city down and not let people out of their houses and flood the streets with cops and soldiers.

Did you see that coming?

And all for a 19-year-old boy?  I mean, the term over-kill doesn't even being to encompass this situation, and while I can certainly get that people were scared at the possibility that they could be shot or blown up, again, King Kong hadn't come to town.  It was a 19-year-old boy.  Yes, not a very good one, not a very smart one (since he didn't leave town after he killed people) but there are so many things that don't ring true for me.  How did this army of cops let this boy get away to begin with?  How did they miss him in the boat, that was "beyond the perimeter," when after they had searched all of the buildings within the perimeter, why didn't they go another block, or two or three or four?  Was it really worth keeping everyone behind closed doors, when in the end it was a person behind a closed door who discovered the kid?

The news doesn't have a clue ... I get that ... and I am sure all of the "facts" that we know today will be different tomorrow, but the one thing that blows my mind was the willingness of what they are saying was close to a million people to just stop their lives and obey the police.  It makes sense, to a certain degree, but a very small one.  We have had horrific acts in this country take place before, and we will again, but this new measure of total military/police occupation is scary as shit.  Even on the news today there were soldiers standing on the streets.  Why?  They need to go now, thank you very much, the child has been taken into custody, there is no further indication of any crazies on the loose with pressure cooker bombs, time to pack it in. 

Following the arrest was a photograph of a skinny kid, handcuffed and with a bloody face, no explosives strapped around him, and while I have heard reports of gunfire in that vicinity, it seems odd that they wouldn't have killed him once gunfire opened up.  Were they shots to create more fear?  To underscore the danger of this person, who spent the day in a boat, probably quite oblivious to the fact that the ENTIRE city and surrounding towns had been shut down due to him?

Listen, I am not defending this kid; I just want questions answered, facts proven, motives explained; and that doesn't seem to be a priority -- especially with our news organizations, who will report for as many consecutive hours as they possibly can saying absolutely nothing.  But who am I to pick on them, because my ideas and opinions are just as plausible as theirs!  We all got them out of the thin air, more or less, it would be possible to string together that tape that PROVES they carried the bombs ... I guess a picture paints a thousand words but these days a picture can be contrived with very little skill.  None of us should forget that.

None of us should forget that.

I repeat, none of us should forget that.  Whatever you are taking as solid proof is not necessarily so.  Here are the facts:

There were two explosions at the Boston Marathon.  Three people were killed, many injured.

In the end, that's all we really know.  The rest of it ... the rest of it played out like a bad movie, and the pictures of empty Boston streets gave me the chills ... because we're supposed to get the chills .... it feels like ... it just all feels wrong.  And while I understand that people stayed in their homes because it was "good for them," I still think our freedom is worth fighting for, no matter how many dangerous 19-year-olds there are running about out there.

And I think the chickens would agree.


No comments: