Friday, October 30, 2009

Later, tomorrow, soon, yep, I'll get to it.



I promise.

I don't know what is going on, but I am like a giant magnet walking about with things pinging towards me and clinging for all their life. And I think, oh, good idea, I can do that, oh, I'll do that too ... and I am getting buried!

My desk is ridiculous. Everything is at that stage where it has gone so far it is overwhelming. So I've been putting off cleaning my desk since ... ummm, August? Ditto with the pile of clothes in my room that represents the between seasons limbo -- there are still shorts and t-shirts, because I am a diehard optimist and I am STILL holding out for that Indian Summer. Anytime please. I need to get rid of that pile to make room for ski pants, fleece and sweaters.

My pantry crossed over from being disorganized to detrimental to cooking about a month ago, but again, that is a P R O J E C T and I am not ready to deal. Yesterday I stood there for ten minutes searching for cumin. I used to have all of my spices alphabetically organized on a shelf. But that shelf now has about 10 spices on it. Where did all the spices go? No, seriously, where did they go? I haven't used them all up! They are in hiding.

Or on a shelf where I can't spot them. Same with all of my superfoods. I smartened up a few weeks ago and combined my daily supplements in the cupboard above my blender so I wouldn't have to go search for them every morning. But the umpteen boxes of tea that I took out of that cupboard are now in a basket on the pantry floor. Seriously. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?

Also, while searching for maple syrup in the jungle of a pantry, I discovered other superfoods I should be incorporating into our diets as well -- especially those with lots of Vitamin C. Oh, and where did all the maple syrup go? I had TONS of it. I was lucky to find the one small bottle. Did someone steal it? No, seriously.

And then there is my office. It's out of control. I mentioned my desk, or the big hulking thing that holds my computer and countless other items like an opened Larabar, old batteries, a Fast & Furious DVD that I don't want but was sent anyway by Columbia House and apparently want to get mad about daily, four books, a pile of empty CD cases, a jar of coconut oil, a bottle of coconut handcream (I do use that constantly) an empty plastic baggy, a water glass, a stapler, two calenders, a notebook with notes scribbled in it for a future blog, and then underneath all that -- who knows.

Then on the ottoman to my right are four stacks of books and magazines, a container of string that I believe HALLIE put there that she was making bracelets with and now a lampshade. Then an empty chair, only because someone sat in it last night and put the lampshade on the ottoman! Then on the floor, in what I am now referring to as my bag store, are all the bags I use. My hiking backpack, my backpack I take to the beach or dock (hmmmm, time to put that away?) and then two sort of handbags that I switch between where I throw in my camera, a snack, water bottle and shopping bags, etc. when I head out for the day. My pocketbook is on the table next to it, which also contains three books, a bra (yes, I was looking for it, now that you mention it) and the camera case. Which begs the question, where is the camera? Undoubtedly in one of the bags in the bag store. I just counted, there are 7 bags.

Am I slob? Well, it would seem so, but not really. It just accumulates, and then, well, what the hell am I going to do with them all? Two of them are those big canvas ones that I take to soccer games, with a blanket and other warm clothes because you never know what it's going to be like. And two sizes because sometimes I go to the games alone, and other times Charlie and Peter go. I could bring them back to the basement, where I got them, but there are still a bunch of soccer games left. Is it worth climbing the stairs each time? I think not.

As for the umpteen backpacks, they really have no home. I used to hide them around the side of my desk in the corner, but that is now home to a stack of pictures that I need to deal with (later) and a big bowl full of rocks.

I love rocks.

I hate all this stuff, as much as I love it. If I rid myself of the detritus of my office; I would undoubtedly purchase it all within weeks. I love bags, I adore books and magazines and truly, the lampshade needs to go because I bought a new one, but do I throw it out? I don't know. I tried to convince the kids to use it as a halloween costume ... but no. Charlie jumps out of bed this morning, with about 10 minutes before we need to leave, and asks me to help him with a great ghost costume.

I think not. But I mentioned the lampshade ... no go. And no go goes the lampshade.

::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::

I suppose I should get out of the messy office and go into the messy kitchen and clean that up. That is pretty much where my loyalty lies as far as my cleaning budget. I clean that (%#)*$()@&%)@(*$#P* kitchen twice a day. Once in the morning to clean up whatever mess was left from the night before, and then after I cook. The second time I don't mind, because I am cleaning up after myself. But cleaning up after others -- others who can certainly clean up after themselves, just sucks. And really, the only solution I've found to that problem is to just leave! The ONLY time I don't have to deal with the kitchen is if I am not here. And somehow they manage to figure it out. But if I am here, the best they can do is throw a dish or two into the dishwasher. Crumbs on the counter, pans on the stove, etc. are all invisible to their untrained eye.

How did this turn into a bitching session? Because I hate to clean when I don't want to clean. So I'll get to it later. Tomorrow. Soon. Yep, I'll get to it.

Taxi!


7 comments:

Hal said...

The string was actually already there! in that exact spot that you talk of when I first came hom 2 and a HALF months ago! and cleaning sucks... I agree.

Lisa said...

Ok fine, I run into this all the time. **I** certainly didn't put it there, and **YOU** didn't put it there, and so it goes. I don't want this string. What should I do with it?

Thoughts?

Hal said...

Not really. there isn't much to do with something like that other than make bracelets. You could just place it in Maddie's room. It'll probably stay there forever!

It Rhymes With Witch said...

Whatever happened with the electric company?

Lisa said...

They put in the wire without touching the porch. They dug a hole, which really wasn't that big of a deal, considering there was a 4-foot deep trench from the road to our house to lay the conduit in what's another three feet to dig?

With the exception of two strips of sod that look slightly lumpy, you'd never know they were here. PHEW!

It Rhymes With Witch said...

Good for you. did you leave a note or did you tell them directly that they weren't to touch your porch?

Lisa said...

I talked to the guy, used my spiel, it was left that they would do it as a last resort. Thankfully it didn't come to that!